Wednesday, November 05, 2008

New Shoe New York

You may think I have an addiction to traveling to New York by now, but I tell you it is not ...

I visited yesterday to check out a church that I would like to do my field education at, called West End Presbyterian Church, just next to Columbia and Central Park. I met with the pastor earlier this year, as well as the current intern, and am pretty excited about the opportunity. It's very different from home/UPC: the congregation is very small and very diverse. But it almost makes it feel like a family! I am more or less excited simply for the opportunity to adventure into new territory and see what I can learn. And Spanish might be on that list ...

Bianca and I also got to see Atsuko, a friend we know from our summer travels/UPC as she and her husband Pat were in town for the NY marathon. I canNOt imagine running all over the city, let alone longer than 5 blocks ... kudos to all that do. I really only run away from things. I ALSO bought some sweet new kicks for $10!! unbelievable, please see below:
And lastly, a few highlights from this week:
In speech class yesterday we were each to read a piece of scripture, and mine was a part of the sermon on the mount. I would like to say that preaching is one of those things that I may be a little to critical about, because I feel like people should be both engaging with the text as well as real with the people they are speaking to. And this often doesn't happen. Too much theatrics makes it unrealistic and too human/buddy buddy removes the pure wisdom that the scripture can have. You know what I mean? So I'm hoping that the way I choose to read my piece falls in the good balance. Reaction? Let's just say that one peer of mine said that if I were to start a cult, he would join.

Oh, and I joined a contemporary worship group on campus called 'The Well' and I get to lead worship next tuesday! I've just realized that this is kind of a dream of mine ... getting to be on a worship team, and then actually getting to lead one night! Woohoo! I've got to go practice then ...

...should I have mentioned something about the elections and this momentous time in history? Because Obama is great, that is all acknowledged, but I'm ready to see what the next 4 years actually have to offer. And I'm a little pissed with Washington's voters on other issues.

No comments: