Monday, December 01, 2008

Bostacular

Thanksgiving - Boston style. I really like Boston. I think I could move there and be happy. Granted, I could probably move a lot of places and be happy, but it's such a nice size for a city, and nearly surrounded by water which is fabulous. I miss seeing a lot of water around. OH Seattle - only two more weeks before home-time!

Anyway, I went with my suite-mate Margaret to visit her Uncle and cousins, which was really fun, and it was fun to simply be in a family atmosphere. We didn't get to see as much of Boston as I would have like (like Cambridge for instance ...) but that just means I'll have to go back! It's amazing how much history can be in one place. I mean I've been to Europe, but this is like birth-place-of-our-country history. In a sense all of this only existed in my 7th-12th grade US history memory. Now it's alive again! And just like it looks like in National Treasure ...

So now back to work ... I actually am quite busy this week. I joined a group on campus called Seminarians for Peace and Justice, and as today is/was World AIDS Day, we organized a Taize service in the Chapel. Along with that, I organized the Alternative Christmas Market, where we are selling fair trade products and alternative gifts (like $10 donated to the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen), which is awesome but needless to say, a little time consuming. Here are some of my products, if you're interested ...

The bottlecap earrings I've made to support my friend who's living in Bosnia (thus 'Bottlecaps for Bosnia'). I love making stuff. And the card on lower right I designed to go with donations to local organizations. I love making stuff. Did I mention that? Hmm ...

I also took a fabulous walk today with my friend Rachel Daley. She is fabulous, and all around very much fun. I like seminary a lot. I love learning what I'm learning, engaging in heavy theological and ethical discussions, and generally this community. Also challenging a community like this to be aware of the world around them (locally and globally) through things like the Alt Christmas Market or the Taize service. We need to be agents of change. And that goes for each member of the body of Christ, not just those destined to be the workers in the church, but definitley them for sure.
Oh and please pray for me, I'm suffering from a severe case of camera lust. I love love LOVE photography, and would LOVE a new camera. But if I had one I probably wouldn't get ANYTHING done.

3 comments:

Peg said...

you are too funny - it will be nice to have you home. give a call for sure and we will do something "Seattle-y" so we can compete with Boston and NYC for your heart!

Karen S-J said...

Becca,
Looking forward to seeing you when you come home.
Studio Christmas Party this sunday, we'll be thinking of you!
Stay safe,
Much love,
Karen

Karen S-J said...

Becca,
Also it was fun to see that your little purple soldier guy is still traveling with you! Didn't you find him when we were staying at Thirlestane Castle in Scotland?