Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Back from 'break'. A week of no classes when the dining hall closes and there is still work to be done doesn't really sound like a break, but I'll take what I can get. I did finish a book, I spent some time in Pennsylvania, and watched a few movies, which is what break is all about.

Now it's back to classes. And I'm excited. It's always nice to see all the familiar faces back on campus (since many were absent over Jan-term) but it's also got me thinking about how I want to engage my seminary experience. A friend and I have decided that Wednesdays over breakfast we will come together with whoever would like to join us, and discuss theological issues. It's basically "let's talk about our frustrations/questions dealing with theology/whatever else we hear here in class that we have not yet unpacked" time. A time that I wanted to designate, because often at meals people are having time to zone away from classes. And in small groups you get a bit more personal. And I want to utilize the time here to ask my peers questions about salvation and Jesus and spiritual warfare. So, today we met and it was great. One reason I'm excited.

And one cultural comment about seminary for today. I don't think I've mentioned this one before, sorry if I have. It feels as though there is a sort of grasping onto pieces of the world - as in holding onto any and all secularity (just made that word up). It's almost as if it's uncool to proclaim a love for Jesus, which seems so backwards. This doesn't go for everyone, but it seems pretty commonplace. It more just makes me feel like we're taking this weird Christian community thing for granted. We don't have to live all goody-two-shoes Christian, I mean, honesty doesn't have to look good. But we also don't have to head the other direction. I guess I'm just hoping (and this will probably seem random) that people are really engaging who they are and who they want to be, who God is calling them to be, and are not giving in to who they think they are supposed to be.

No comments: