Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pheeling Phaint Phor Photographs

I have a love and not-hate-but-somewhat-dislike for photography.

I would love to take photography all day every day every where and all the time. You can be so artistic with shots, and creative with angles, colors, patterns, people/faces, etc. But at the same time you're only capturing a moment, and not even a moment if you think about it - it is a flat representation of reduced reality. This is why we moan and groan on family vacations when the designated photographer must document as much as possible. The rest of us pull at our hair, make faces, and present our case that we should be enjoying the time we have, not by taking pictures, but by actually making the memories. In the end I think we all are a little thankful that certain events do get plastered to the paper, despite the agonizing minute it took for the picture to be taken.

My not-hate-but-somewhat-dislike side comes in when I think about how meaningful the subjects of the photo are. With nature or inanimate objects I have no real opinion, but when people enter the frame everything changes. To photograph someone is such a blessing and a curse - you have an opportunity to attempt to capture them - and I mean them - in a single spot for eternity. To try and communicate who they are through a still image. This is a challenge, but part of me also thinks it's a disgrace. You can't hold a conversation with a photograph, laugh with a photograph (well perhaps you can, but you will look quite strange doing so), build memories with a photograph ... I guess when I see photos of people, it makes me ache to know them. Especially if the photographer has captured them in a unique way - and then I wish that photographs could respond. Perhaps J.K. Rowling wishes the same thing.

1 comment:

Peg said...

Love your thoughts on making images Becca - oh so true. You might enjoy a couple of books: Images by Roland Barthes and one by Julianne Newton - forgetting the title. But they both talk at length about the image and its place in our lives.