Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reverential Treatment?

The small group I lead up at Rutgers University has decided to keep one another accountable in daily devotions, and to do so, we've decided to read a psalm a day. I bought some awesome thin Moleskine journals for us to use, so that we are at least reflecting on something we've read each day.

Today is Psalm 5, which first of all reminds me of a favorite song that I cannot find a fair rendition of (youtube offers either country or 80's ... perhaps I'll have to record one of my own ...), but also brings to light a growing concern I've had recently.

Verse 7 reads: "But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple."

What is 'reverence' these days? How does our culture today treat 'holy' things? The evolution of Christian culture has centered on the accessibility of God, that Jesus wants a relationship with us, that God meets me, and is active in my every day. Fair, fair. But what about the fact that we're talking about GOD?!? Creation building, flood loosening, Fire from heavening, bush burning, covenanting, resurrecting, mountain trembling GOD ... I suppose a general observation would be that my peers, myself included, often entertain the idea that I take God with me wherever I go, not that God takes me everywhere ... I want to be of the mindset of the latter ...

I'd like to think that while yes, God is with me, I also must go and discover God in other places. I must go and worship God, "bowing toward your holy temple," reminded of God's great mercy. Reminding myself that this is GOD we're talking about, holiest of holy's, the one with wrath and grace all wrapped up together in a confusing loving parent who is unpredictable and the best at giving good surprises.

No comments: