Sunday, February 06, 2011

The Winter of Our Discontent

The snow was melting, and then last Wednesday we had an "Ice Day," my first ever. Classes were canceled, at least for those who had classes on Wednesday, which I did not, so it didn't even matter. But having phenomenal cameras at my disposal, I made the most of it.

Also, while doing some cleaning I found this poem I wrote from the summer during my chaplaincy, and thought I'd share. I titled is "How Well I Know Myself," and I think I wrote it during a session in the Mental Health ward on the topic of 'Wellness.' Self-care is often an issue for all of us ...

I laid out plans of where we'd go
including who I'd be

I told you what I want in life
my expectations complete

But when you asked to put aside
my list of do's and don'ts

I wasn't sure just where to go
you left me inside out

I'd never taken time before
to stop and think about

My heart and head all things unsaid
before you pulled them out

I thought that caring for myself
had more to do with you

But consequently loving me
is what I need to do.

No comments: