Monday, June 16, 2008

I heard it through the Glockenspiel

We are safely in Germany! We traveled to Munich today, and this is the first time I can say the phrase ‘I just flew in from Paris’. I’m not sure if I ever want to say that again, just because the rest of France was better than Paris. Yesterday we made the drive up from Fontevraud to Paris (Orly, so south Paris – I would NEVER want to drive IN Paris – Yikes) and we were fine until we came to the point of exiting freeways and trying to find our hotel. I have never been more lost in my life. The only map I had was that of the Metro since we knew there was a Regional Express line that ran near our hotel … it’s the second time this trip we’ve left it in the hands of God and gone to our nearest helpful human and asked for help. Both times we’ve gotten help from Mappy.com – something like google maps – but it was very much not helpful because the signs in Paris SUCK. They are tiny and usually not visible or not to be found. I can only think that Jesus was having a good laugh, and then decided He’d help us find it because we got so lost we found it. I have no idea how. And then we nearly got lost trying to find the airport today but we’re finally OUT of Paris and couldn’t be happier.

Munich is pretty awesome – I’m bummed to only be here for 24hrs. We head to Salzburg tomorrow (SOUND OF MUSIC!!! I’m totally renting a bike …) so our time is limited. We did walk around today and had the privilege of hearing the Glockenspiel at 5pm – it’s basically a giant cuckoo clock set inside a building. No seriously, dancing men and jousting knights, and all promenade before the cuckoo clucks the time of day (which technically here shouldn’t it cluck 17 times because of Europe’s choice of the 24hr clock?). We plan on doing a tour of Dachau concentration camp tomorrow and then head on to Salzburg. OH I’m excited. Until then! Sorry no pictures … here’s something from paint … Now back to watching the Eurocup.

1 comment:

I am Kate Maxwell said...

that's the best looking picture i have seen in a long time