Monday, June 30, 2008

Hummus isn't actually Greek ...

Here we are! In a hotel in Meteora, a place with amazing landscapes – giant rock formations like pillars, and monasteries located at the top! In the past your options of visiting these places included rope ladders or being ‘wenched’ (pulled) up in a rope basket/baggy/hammock type deal – and these are HIGH. I don’t think I would have visited these back in the day. But now we have buses and roads and stairs and bridges, so hooray!

So we are a bit into our tour – we started in Athens on June 26th, and we met up with the rest of the group at the airport (that was a couple hours late) and checked into our hotel, got EXTRA excited about the fact that people delivered our luggage to our rooms, had some free time (for shoe purchasing?), and a great dinner. Our hotel also has a roof garden which is where we watched the Eurocup match of Russia and Spain, and has this view of the Acropolis...

Next was our departure from our hotel to the harbor to begin our 3 day cruise through the Greek islands and to Turkey! I’ve never been on a cruise before, and however cool they may be I don’t think I ever want to do one again. I mean, there are better ways to travel, and I don’t particularly enjoy spending long amounts of time lounging in the sun (or worrying that I’m going to burn) on the boat while in foreign countries – I feel like I can do that at home. That’s my family mentality speaking for me – I know that’s pretty much ideal for most people ... but it was relaxing. Another reason for not doing a cruise again is I felt like I was ALWAYS eating. And maybe I was, but from my family perspective if there is free food available you are going to take advantage of it and if felt wrong not to. So I needed to practice a little more self control. That is agreed. I am also becoming more aware of how my family has influenced me...

We sailed to Mykonos, a very beautiful and tourist driven island; to Rhodes, which is mentioned in Paul’s travels VEry briefly; to Patmos, where John heard the word of God and received the revelation for the last book of the New Testament; and Ephesus, which is the receiving city for the letter to the Ephesians, and has some significance in Paul’s ministry as read in the book of Acts. It was VERY hot in Ephesus, bordering 110 F, but we got air conditioned buses so didn’t have to endure too much. It is so amazing to see these places that are so ancient, and are all in ruins – I wonder what it looked like thousands of years ago, as some of the terrain is different since bodies of water have receded or moved since then. And it almost feels like it’s out in the middle of nowhere when at the peak of its reign it was a bustling hub. Also only a small portion of the city has even been excavated – the majority of the city has still not been unearthed! Our guide says that most excavation work is done in the summer – but that doesn’t really make sense because it is SO hot. Which is probably why when we drove by a patch that looked like archaeologists may have been working, there was no one in sight … popsicle break or something...

Tomorrow we head to Thesoloniki, but tonight we stay at a fabulous hotel – sometimes these package tour deals are worth it. What a contrast to bed bugs and laundry tabs. Here are a couple pic's I've taken lately to wet your pallet ...

A wall photo from the Island of Rhodes - I love seeing these old stone engravings, they've lasted through the years and still remain beautiful. This was along the Avenue of Knights, I believe. I should probably keep better track.

Our boat in the sunset! It's huge, and I still feel like I'm on it at times, and that was only a 3 day cruise! Quit the rocking already!

Ephesus! Hot and amazing. Our tour group is gathering in this photo, I think you can see Gaff. We took a moment and sang 4 verses of Amazing grace in this theater - the same theater mentioned in Acts when Paul was being yelled at because he was preaching against the use of idols. History right in my face and under my feet, just the way I like it.

1 comment:

I am Kate Maxwell said...

jealous. and wearing sunscreen and bug spray like its going to save my life.